Welcome

Hi everyone, Welcome to I Bi Dem: Woman, Wife, Mother

This is my first post and I have no idea what I am doing except that I want to communicate with other women The question is so what's this about. Well, it's about me just raising issues as they come to my mind and  hoping you will join in the fun. I'll like to talk about being a woman, wife, mother and every other role we can play as the female gender. You will notice there is no 'and' between wife and mother in the title because the roles we play are endless. By being the three listed above, a woman is already so many things. Can you just imagine all the roles a woman plays just by being a woman?

 In the last week before holidays. I discussed gender roles with the grade 11s and 12s while reading Shakespeare's Macbeth and Antony and Cleopatra.  We focused on what society expects of us as men and women. Women are supposed to cry, men are not;  women are expected to be soft and men tough; women should be manipulative and of course men shouldn't be. And the list goes on and on. We concluded that those expectations were basically baseless. Men and women should cry if they felt like; it's a god-given release and cleansing mechanism.  Men and women can be equally manipulative. I don't know of any research that says otherwise. The same goes for being tough.

The truth is we have the capacity to be who God has destined us to be - excellent beings and we should not settle for less no matter. We can also box ourselves into roles and whatever negative expectations the society demands of us.  The choice is ours.  When all is said and done what can we do? Let me give some suggestions:
  • Believe in yourself.
  • Appreciate yourself
  • Laugh at yourself
  • Enjoy who you are on your way to becoming who you want to be.
Remember, there is only one of  you. God gave it his best when he created you. Ps 139:14. He serves some dividends on his investment.



So, please share with me the different roles you play as a woman, societal expectations, how you are coping and suggest how we can get better at being women.

Eagerly waiting.

Comments

  1. Nice write up, looking forward to more post

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice ma. I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play many role and of which few are: first and foremost, I am a child of God, a daughter, then myself, thereafter a wife, mother, sister, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, colleague, employer, co-worker, associate, church member, cousin etc. I am sure your blog will be very interesting. Looking forward to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @unknown it is so true we are all these roles and more. The key is playing them well is accepting yourself first and appreciating others around you. We cannot be without others. That is the message of the cross: love to God, others and self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to love God and yourself first before you can fit into these roles.You should also not let the world define the meaning of a wife,mother,woman to you,but follow how God has defined them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice write up. I play a role as daughter of the most high, wife ,mother,sister, school teacher, children teacher in church. All to the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HELP

Pray For Nigeria

GPS: RECALCULATING!