Doing Life on Phone


Doing Life on the Phone
One of the things I am appreciative of is the technology all around us. The strides that we have seen made in recent years could only have been imagined some ten, fifteen years ago. Today, the use of technology in various forms has revolutionized life in business, communication and everyday chores in the home. Getting help, learning something new, sending messages and receiving instant feedback among other things are often a click away. I am amazed at the various opportunities and avenues available to the modern women to help her fulfil her different roles in life. 

Two Bible passages come to my mind as I reflect on the vastness of the Internet and technology.  The first one is David's praise to God as he collected that would be needed to build God's temple. He said in 1 Chronicles 29:11 -12 NKJV

Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; for all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and You are exalted as head over all. Both riches and honour come from You, and You reign over all. In Your hand is power and might; in Your hand it is to make great And to give strength to all.

The second one is Revelations 4:11 NKJV

You are worthy, O Lord,
To receive glory and honour and power;
For You created all things,
And by Your will they exist and were created.”

Both passages speak to me of the majesty, splendour, wealth and awesomeness of our God, the fact that He owns all wisdom and knowledge and He wants us to be partakers of all He has. I believe that one of His vast provision to us is technology. He gave people knowledge and wisdom to develop them. These things are available for us to use to gain strength, direction and comfort. The question is, do we access them? If and when we do, do we use them well and to His glory? Let's ponder on that. I want to explore the different ways we use the internet and technology to enhance our lives and fulfil our roles. 
Apart from labour saving devices in the home, the small hand communication device called the phone is a blessing. Its function goes beyond making or receiving calls. We now do life on the phone. I discuss some of the ways I use the phone.

My relationship with God 
Thank God for the so many Bible apps available. The fact that I am able to access the word of God in the palm of my hand is pure delight. I will make a special mention of ‘YouVersion’. It has various reading programmes on practically every topic one could possibly think of. You can do the programmes alone or with friends and you usually have the opportunity to reflect and share your thoughts with friends doing the same programme. I have found this interesting and fulfilling. You can even have the scripture read to you. I do that a lot as I do my chores around the house. And Google?! I can’t count the number of times I remembered a part of a scripture verse and I Googled it up. It helps me through Bible study.
Getting to study the word of God makes me a better person. I cannot be the woman I am supposed to be without a solid connection to God. It is said that you can’t keep company with Jesus and remain the same. That is so true! My regular serving of the word of God keeps me going. As awesome as these apps are, I miss my hardcopy Bible. Highlighting, bookmarking and making notes just don’t feel the same on my phone. I guess a combination of hard and soft copy is the way to go, at least for me. What about you?
Apart from using the apps and Google, I also listen to messages and play a lot of music round the house. I have had wonderful prayer meetings while in the kitchen taking prayer points from any man of God I have invited to my home. If you think it is all prayers and bible study, you are wrong, I watch a lot of films too during the marking season. Just don’t ask me about the full story but I usually get the plot in the end.

Keeping fit
I learnt that the phone does keep track of your exercise habits on a daily basis.  So I set my phone to counting steps. It reminds me every day and sometimes I feel like throwing it against the wall when it tells me how magnificently short I fall of my expected calorie intake. I never allow myself to get too disappointed though. Tomorrow is another day.
The internet also gives me the chance to exercise at home without going to the gym. I am one of those people who pay gym subscription but hardly show up there. So I discontinued my membership and joined the internet gym. You need to see me dance away and do other cardio exercises. Thank God for the internet! There are so many videos on YouTube.  This is the link to one that I really enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW9IY48x1bc.  I find this really nice because is so real and interactive. Try it and let me know what you feel. Or perhaps, you have some that you have tried and enjoyed, do let us in on the secret.

Keeping in touch with friends and family
I am in touch with people I have not seen in up to thirty years; thanks to the social media. I am sure I would be in touch with more people if I am savvier with the different media. WhatsApp is my go to social platform and I should learn how to use Facebook and Instagram better. I must confess I am still in the dark ages when it comes to this. I need to the get educated. How are you doing in that department? We just must take care to ensure that we don’t end up living in social media.

Improving myself
I have learnt never to say I can’t or don’t know how to do something. Recipes and instructions are just a click away. From cooking, baking and decorating tutorials, my phone and laptop are my dear friends. Sometimes when I get stuck trying to get some work done in word, I simply goggle how to --- whatever the thing is. It has saved me a lot of time and getting that help often meant spelt the difference between achieving something and giving up. Let’s know how you use your phone to improve yourself.
There are also whatsapp groups that provide books for members. Here is a link to one that makes available Christian books. You will never complain of having no book to read after joining the group.  https://chat.whatsapp.com/FnHeCoDVryGFQCP99Fc6eO

Business
I am slowly learning that the phone can be my shop. Advertising does well on WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram. Not only can you sale you can also buy.  Just be sure you know who you are dealing with before you make payment.
Let me stop here this week. Drop a line to let me know how you are using your phones and internet in innovative ways. Take care and God bless

I Bi Dem

Comments

  1. I sometimes, use it to ask questions about strange symptoms on myself or my kids. This sometimes calms my nerve, because I have a knowledge of what the symptoms are. Wonder how life would be withouut social media even with it negative sides, it makes things easier.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HELP

Pray For Nigeria

GPS: RECALCULATING!