HELP

Vector Help Symbol Stock Vector (Royalty Free) 280851317
Picture from Google Images

 

I have a confession to make.  Confessions are not easy as you would know but if I hope to get out of the hole I got myself in, confess I must. So, here is it.

I indulged myself; I ate without restraint and refused to burn the excess away. I have the evidence to proof it. Climbing staircases has become a chore. You need to see me huff and puff. I hope you are not laughing because it is not hilarious at all, but rather pathetic.

I have never trusted the BMI rating as I think those figures were concocted by someone who doesn’t eat and spends half the day burning up calories. I have never been in the green; even at my slimmest. Like I said, I don’t trust it. It was not designed for people with my body structure. But I checked the figures all the same and like a prophet who never has any good news, the thing said I am obese. Imagine the insult. Me, obese? Of course, I am not! That thing needs to be recalibrated. I know I am a little rounder than I used to be, but obese? Excuse me!

So, my conclusion that I have added more weight than necessary is not based on BMI. I reached the conclusion based on two trustworthy measurements which I will share with you.

I haven’t been on speaking terms with the scale for about eight months. I simply refused to listen to it taunting me day after day. Every time I popped an extra portion of food in my mouth, I remembered it. I refused to give it a second glance when it beckoned to me every morning. After a while it became just an add-on in the bathroom.  I knew deep in my heart that neglecting it would come back to haunt me one day. And it did. I only had the courage to visit it after a grave awakening to my predicament.

The one sure measure of weight gain that can’t be wished or argued away is failure to get into your clothes.  I no longer fit into mine.  Oh, the horror of it! I reached out for a blouse that fitted comfortably before winter and lo and behold, it was as if it shrunk. Only, it didn’t; I had grown from one side to another.  My clothes can’t lie, and no conspiracy  theory would hold water here. The truth was starring me in the face, so I visited my long-suffering friend to confirm the undeniable fact. The shameless, unforgiving scale told the truth with a wink to say, ‘I told you so.’

The deed has been done; I am officially a baby elephant, but I have no plans to change my wardrobe for that reason. The only solution is to lose the weight, not for the clothes but for my health. The issue is that excessive weight gain is not healthy. I can just picture my vital organs drowning in a sea of fat. It is not a pretty picture. I need to get fit and I have started the journey. Let me tell you what I have started doing.

a.    I learnt long ago that the secret to weight loss is to burn more than you consume. So, I have reduced my portions and started using a smaller plate. I hope that using a smaller plate will cheat my brain to believe that I am still eating a lot. Wish me luck!

b.    I used to walk 6,000 steps every day before winter (on a good day). I have increased it to 10,000 and my body already aches. I know this is child’s play to many of you but keeping it up will be a challenge for me. I will try my best to wake up early and walk every day. I already feel sorry for myself, but the picture of my vital organs should keep me motivated.

c.    I have also downloaded music to accompany me on the walks. It helps to listen to uplifting music while walking.

So, I need your help to keep up the pace and actually lose the weight. Let me know if you have tried to lose weight before. What did you do, and did you succeed? Please tell your story. I will give you my updates once every month. Summer will soon be here; I want to be fit enough to enjoy the sun.

I Bi Dem

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I have tried control my weight gain on several occasions but it is not an easy journey. What I do now is to reduce my food portions and exercise and the fat is reducing gradually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Food portions must be reduced.

      Delete
    2. This weight thing, hmmmmm! honestly it is tough! With determination and conscious efforts, maintaining a normal weight can be achieved. First, make water, lukewarm or room temperature your number one best friend. I normally start my day with not too hot but above lukewarm water. Cold water is a NO NO! I've been doing this for years and I'm really used to it. I also make sure my fruits preferably the ones in season are the next thing after my water morning ritual before any breakfast of my choice. I go for a walk at least twice a week, then I love swimming, I do this also twice a week. Though I sign up for gym but I just confess I'm not too regular at going to gym. I love to walk! I see a tremendous result and especially I'm fit and all these are helping my digestive system to perform well. I'm still making efforts to increase my visits to the gym! Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I have tried several times to lose weight over the years and I realized that one way to lose weight is to cut out liquid calories,such as soda and juices and replace them with zero- calorie drinks like lemon water,ginger tea and unsweetened drinks, it really helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's was very nice interesting. Actually this lockdown has made me to gain some weights. But my challenge is tommy is its protruding bit by bit and im not satisfied with it. My figure is ok. I've tried doing some tommy blast exercise but it's very difficult so I stopped. I wish I could find or get another remedy for tommy blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Losing weight is not an easy thing. You have to deny yourself of a lot of things you love. Intermitent fasting is really a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using the wondernut, its a natural product and I've seen many women lose a lot of weight on it including some family members. Im not very fond of diets etc as I found that I can not maintain a healthy eating routine after leaving the diet resulting in weight gain. I'm very cautious about diet products etc but with seeing the results of the wondernut I've decided to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ought to have seen me grinning from ear to ear. This weight thing! :) The pandemic came with its quarantine and the ripple effect of being sentenced to a "fattening room". When I make video calls, I see my fat cheeks staring at me. The extra kilograms gained finally sunk in when I used a pay scale last week. Nonetheless, I know Keto diets work, although I have been too lazy to try it. Additionally, eating your last meal for the day before 6 or 7pm is magical for flabby bellies.

    Thank you so much for the well-written piece. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fattening room" what an apt description for the quarantine.

      Delete
    2. So true with eating the last meal at 6pm which helps the flabby tommy

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the mirror image account of my life! For me, weight loss came quickly for me during the lockdown because I had the time and the presence of mind to be deliberate about nutrition and exercise. I lost weight by drinking lots of water, eating smaller, regular, healthy meal portions and walking around the neighborhood and house 45 minutes daily. Then I returned to work and the roller coaster ride began again- I gained 2kg in two weeks! So now, I just dance in the room for 15 mins before bed ( that's the only time I can squeeze in exercise on workdays), and eat good size and variety breakfast, and modest size after-work meals around 7-8pm. I sleep around midnight because I have to take work home. I try to deliberately drink water throughout the day : I hate drinking water!

      Delete
    4. I can feel your pain. Our stressful work schedule can make healthy living impossible. Perhaps try to add lemon alone or with honey to your water.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for a well written 'confession'. I had a good laugh reading through...oops!! Laugh ke? I did not laugh ooo (buhahahahahahahaaaa).
    On a more serious note, you are not alone on this journey to losing some 'self-packed' weight. Well done on taking a conscious effort to send the baggage and luggage back to the rightful place! We will be fine lass lass ma😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried to loose weigh by walking and reducing calories and I am still not losing weight. Walking 5 km a day for almost a year and it made no difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I can just sense your disappoint. But please don't despair. Keep at it. I don't understand this calorie thing. You may want to speak to a dietitian.

      Delete
  9. Loosing weight. That is one thing I have found to be the most difficult task to accomplish most especially t the Tommy and hip sides of my body.

    I realised that reducing carbonated drinks help me loose weight. Fasting also but you must understand. Your body system. For some of us we loose it very quickly and some others do not. So subjecting oneself to too many trials without understanding the BMW composition can result to discouragement.

    I snack with fruits when I feel like nibbling. At the same time remember that fruit has its sugar composition as well so we must understand fruits that help.

    So I do carrots, berries, proper fibre fruits such as pear, orange which does move my bowels very well. At least excess is quickly eliminated from my body system, eating more greens, (salads) though this part of the world we think it's for the goats, it does help, drink herbal teas in the likes of the chamomile, green tea and some other ones.

    I am not so disciplined with rigours exercise, but I make a conscious effort to do my steps and so ensured my fit bit watch is set to make a conscious effort everyday.

    I drink my water normally with lemon and it is just to help bowel movement. Warm water preferably. I am getting there gradually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me, walking 30min a day has been helping. I just started low carb:keto diet. I will b back to update on the result

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pray For Nigeria

GPS: RECALCULATING!