Alone with God's Word

 



As I reflect on the past 50 years of life or at least since I learnt to read, I realise that the word of God has always fascinated me. It is no wonder that God uses it to play a huge part in my life like He does in many lives.  I would have despaired several times; I would have been discouraged; I would have given up if not for God through His word. I have held on to it for dear life many times. When all was dark around, only the remembrance of portions of the Bible lit up my way. I don’t know what I would have done if not for the word of God.

I believe the Bible is the infallible word of God – every part of it. I am not a theologian of course; so, I cannot discuss it academically. For me, it is the life manual and guide. A friend once joked that I seem to punctuate my sentences with something from the Bible. I wish that this were true - that I have memorised the word of God in great detail, but alas it is not so.

At the beginning of this year, I became convicted about how little time I spend reading or studying the word of God. Over the years, it has gradually stopped being part of my routine. To complicate issues, the focus of the church has also shifted from Bible study to prayers. Pastors complain that very few people show up for Bible study – people are more interested in getting gifts but less interested in what the Giver says or wants. With Covid-19, whatever little that was being done came to a standstill. The lack of emphasis on Bible study makes me feel uneasy because I was taught that the best way to pray is to pray the word of God, but how can we pray it if we don’t know it? I was also taught that one should approach praying (sometimes, as the case demands) like a lawyer arguing a case with references and sections to refer to before a judge.

The Lord invites us in Isaiah 43:26 to present our cases before Him and in Psalms 138:2 He says that He honours His words more than His name. Doesn’t it then make sense to use His words in prayer - no matter the type of prayer? (Ephesians 6:18) How can we hope to receive from God if we do not do what He wants and how do we know what He wants if we don’t read His word?

As I noted in my post titled, ‘Be Open Minded’ (https://www.blogger.com/u/3/blog/post/edit/1084284606756232447/424369925984290345) most of us have become fast food Christians – looking for quick devotionals instead of sitting down to a wholesome study of the word by ourselves. As I began finding my way back to personal Bible study, I put together a journal for personal study and with a friend or friends. It provides one with an outline for a basic Bible study as we were taught long ago. The outline consists of the passage and/or topic, background questions, summary, what you hear the Lord saying to you, actions you need to take, prayer points from the passage and finally verse or verses to remember and memorise. I find it helpful to use the outline as it gives structure to the study and helps me to stay focused.

The journal is available for sale on Amazon on this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Gods-Word-Bible-Journal/dp/B096TLBN16/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Adebola+Abosede+Fawole&qid=1623785859&sr=8-2


If you are in South Africa and would like to buy a copy, please contact me. I pray that the journal will be a blessing to the body of Christ and that we will find our way back to God’s words. Above all, we need to pray that God will open His word to us, to change us through it and make us more like His son, Jesus Christ.  

Comments

  1. Excellent!! Thanks for your obedience writing this book. I share similar testimonies in my few years getting in the Word and look forward to using this book and recommending to others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HELP

GPS: RECALCULATING!

Pray For Nigeria