GPS: RECALCULATING!


GPS: RECALCULATING
On a certain day after dropping my husband in Johannesburg, I tried to get back on the freeway to Pretoria. I took the right turn off ramp or at least the one I thought was right until I ended up in gangster land. I had my children in the car; it was getting dark and I was scared. Eventually after several wrong turns I saw a police van. I parked and broke down in tears as I tried to explain my situation to him. He laughed, tried to calm me down and gave me direction to the freeway.   He said the right turnoff was just ahead of me. After over an hour of driving in a maze, I told him he had to lead me there. He eventually did and we were home in less than an hour. 
That experience was the last straw. We decided to buy a GPS. We got a small one and tried so many voices available on the settings to navigate us through our trips. We tried the likes of the Australian guy, the English lady and the Frenchman and the old grandma. Unanimously the whole family agreed that the grandma's voice was the best. After I had missed a turning, she would said:  “You didn't listen to me. Now you have to turn around.” Driving above the speed limit will invite, “You are going too fast; you are making me dizzy.”  She entertained us to no end with her ingenious ways of giving directions. 

One would think that having a GPS solved all my navigation problems. It didn't! I sometimes took wrong turns for various reasons like not following directions- thinking the GPS was confused and that I knew better. Or sometimes it was simply because I couldn’t tell my left hand from the right. So something I heard  at those times was 'recalculating' Looking back at the times I had wasted petrol trying to get back on the right road, I should qualify for an award. It was always in my best interest to listen and obey the new command after recalculating. 

I guess it is the same in our lives. Sometimes, for different reasons we need to recalculate and listen to the next instruction before going off again. God has put so many GPSs around us and in us and failure to listen to them can keep us from reaching our personal best or even prove fatal. 

When we say this is the way I am; refuse to forgive; hesitant to change methods or life outlook, we are simple saying no to “recalculating”. Perhaps we need to re-evaluate our relationships with those closest to us and start rebuilding bridges we’ve burnt or pull down or walls we’ve erected thinking that we keep us safe. Wall can also isolate; overprotection equals to being in a prison. Recalculate!  
Some of us glory in family tendencies like anger and stubbornness and we fail to see how they are wrecking our lives. Recalculate!
 As mothers, perhaps it is time to do parenting differently or even reach out for help. Asking for help in most cases is a sign of strength. Weak people always try to cover up. Recalculate!
Maybe it is time to apply feminism differently in your marriage or throw away the societal and cultural expectations of being a woman, wife and mother that do not agree with God’s standard. Recalculate!
Let’s spend the week thinking of ways we need to recalculate and actually do so.
Take care and God bless.

I Bi Dem.

Comments

  1. Woah!!! So on point, we need to listen to that inner voice of direction and when we miss it realise it's not the end of the word, there is a recaluation option. Thank you for this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an insightful piece and so on point. Recalculating is very essential in this life journey. It will assist in getting to our destination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very nice. Hmmm! As human beings, there are tendencies to make mistakes. The take here is, we can go back and recalculate so as to make it right. Thank you ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm so true, we all need to recalculate from time to time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome...very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring and motivating piece. Your analogy and how you are able to relate it to every human reality definitely highlights your brilliance and God's inspiration. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these wise words!! They are important and good to remember during those trying moments. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. Really true. Many distractions indeed. May we clearly hear the Shepherd's distinct voice at every turn in our lives-amen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks sister for sharing this salient point. Obedience to the Holy Spirit will lead us in no time to a good destination- a place of destiny that our heart long to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God when am gling off track ols help me to recalculate🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HELP

Pray For Nigeria