If you fail ….


So, what else was she supposed to do?  She has come to realise the importance of having a mentor and learnt how to get one. The implementation was, however, a different story – no matter what she did, she could not get an appointment with her chosen mentor. No, that’s not true. In fact, she was able to fix an appointment on her first call to the personal assistant. The appointment did not hold; the fate suffered by seven other appointments she had booked so far. She has tried her best. She knows, she has tried. A less patient, not-so-determined person would have given up after the second or third attempt, but she persisted. Eight times of non-appearance, of being stood up was enough.  Who does this woman think she is – God?

She hissed long and loud only like an angry woman would and gathered her notes to put back in her ideas folder. She has meticulously put together notes of her plans to discuss with her would-be mentor, adding a little more each time the woman did not show up. She usually spent the time going through her notes and adding more as ideas came to her mind.  And what has she to show for it?  She hissed again

‘Sisi, have you become a snake?’

She turned around quickly startled ‘You startled me, Kola.’ What are you doing at home this time?’

‘I noticed you were not feeling fine this morning and so I decided to come early to check on you and spend some time with you. Are you okay?’

‘Yes, I am. I just have a lot on my mind .’

 What is eating you up, my darling?’ what is it? Tell me maybe we can solve it together.

‘It's about this mentorship thing. You know I've not been able to speak with my mentor up till now?’

‘That's a pity. You’ve made so much effort. So, what are you planning to do about that? ‘

I think that at this stage I'll just give up.  I really tried - you know - 8 times, and not one time did I see her. I think I've tried enough. ‘

‘Are you sure that you have? ‘

‘Yes, I am, and you know it.’

‘If you fail in the day of adversity, your strength is small’ Kola said as he walked to the fridge.

‘What did you say’ she said as she went to join him in the kitchen.

I only quoted a wise man. He said if you fail in the day of adversity, your strength is small.’

‘You mean you don’t think that I have preserved enough?’ She looked at her husband accusingly. ‘You really can’t be serious.’

Kola patted her hand. ‘You know that that is not what I am saying. And you also know that you can’t throw in the towel, no with all the time and effort you have invested in identifying her as a suitable mentor.’ You can’t just give up. That is not the woman I love and married’

She sat still; brow knotted in deep thought. ‘I don’t know what else to do. I am at a loss here. One can’t win all the time.’

‘True talk, but I don’t believe this is a lost battle.’

‘So I ask again, what do you think I should do?’

‘I don’t have an answer for you, but we can pray about it and discuss it again tomorrow. For now, let’s prepare something to eat and pray by four. Relax, babe. Remember all things work together for the good of’…… he looked at her to complete his statement.

‘For those who love God and are called according to His purpose’ She laughingly completed it. She was surely blessed to be married to Kola. He had a way of making her smile at even the worst of times. He had begun to bring out bowls from the fridge to prepare lunch. She wondered what she had done to deserve such a man. He was so at home in the kitchen, even when his parents were around.

 ‘Sweetheart, are you awake?’ were the first words she heard the next morning.  She opened her eyes to her husband bending over her.

Alarmed she asked, ‘is anything wrong?’

‘No, darling. I am just excited to tell you my thoughts about what we prayed about yesterday.’

She sat up. The enthusiasm in Kola’s voice was contagious’ ‘Please tell.’

‘You don’t have to meet with Mrs. Dairo for her to be your mentor.’

‘What do you mean? I have to meet with her to discuss my ideas. You know that one learns a lot just by being with a person. How do I do all these without meeting with her?’

‘Slow down, babe. Hear me out. Of course, it is important to meet your mentor. But this Covid -19 has taught us to do things differently. If it is not possible to meet physically, let’s consider other avenues.’

‘Like?’

‘Attending events where she will be speaking.’

But I have been doing that.’

‘And all the time, you were waiting to see her not realising that you would have seen her if you had really listened to her.’

‘You mean I should have listened with my need in mind. I shouldn’t have done general listening?’

‘Now, you understand me.’

‘I think you are right’

Of course, I am. Always!’

Apart from that, you should also invest in her books.

‘You know I read her books.’

‘Continue. I am sure she does not mean to spite you by missing all those appointments.

She raised her eyebrow. ‘I hear you.’

‘Sweetheart,  look at the time and we haven’t prayed. God help us.

It promises to be a great day.

 

I Bi Dem.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELP

Pray For Nigeria

GPS: RECALCULATING!